Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Flexibility

If I have come to learn anything about the mental health field, it is to be flexible.  Especially in crisis; there can't be rigidity.  If you're flexible with the individual, and even more so with the situation and that absolutely anything can happen at any moment, it will be the most beneficial to that person in crisis.

I've had some cases when we've worked weeks on something in particular, and then another crisis happens in the family, and we have to pause to address that crisis.  This messes up my plans a lot.  But it is okay!  To be available during those difficult times is what I am there for.

I hope that everyone who experiences crises in their lives (which is all of us at some point) has someone that they can turn to that is willing to be flexible and understanding.  I have friends call me up when I am in the middle of a reading, or homework, or about to fall asleep, but if they call me in a crisis, I put that book down, or pause the homework, or wake up to listen, because I know they need someone.

I believe in Paying It Forward, too. If you can be available to someone else in their time of need, they will [hopefully] be available to you as well when you need it.

I encourage you all to be, as Elasta-Girl from Disney's Incredibles says, a little more flexible.


No comments:

Post a Comment